Even though it was a shortened work week (Monday was a holiday for me), it felt so long and I’m so ready for the weekend. I have a new book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, to dive into and season one of Downton Abby to watch, my Grandma’s birthday to celebrate and a wedding venue to check out. Hopefully it’ll be a wonderful mix of fun and relaxing. As you countdown the hours until the workday is over, here are a few things I loved this week…
…my holiday “thank you” notes are (almost) signed, sealed and delivered but I would have love to use this stationary.
…although Valentine’s Day is still over month away, I’d love to bake, and obviously eat, these cookies.
…if you’re a Full House fan and a Happy Endings fan, watch them collide here, as the Happy Endings cast sing the Full House theme song.
…wedding planning is going to be in full swing in my home soon and the Style Me Pretty Best of 2011 came out just in time.
…currently lusting over this Rebecca Minkoff wallet.
Every year I make a list of resolutions and keep them to myself. I fail miserably every year to keep them. This year, I’m posting them here in an effort to hold myself accountable.
- Read more books. Much more.
- Go to the gym (or workout) at least twice a week.
- Write more handwritten notes/letters
- Do more “fun” things!
- Write more. Stories, blog posts, etc.
- Cook healthier meals.
- Don’t sleep on train to work!
This year, Ben and I are hosting our first holiday party. Our first party altogether, really. This weekend a couple dozen friends will squeeze into our one bedroom apartment for snacks and spirits at our Holiday Open House.
I’d been planning in my head for weeks but finally got down to business and made my to-do list/timeline last week. I’ve seen plenty of these outlined in my favorite magazines but it’s not until you are having your own shindig that you really need to plan it all out.
Here is my (top-lined) Party Prep To-Do:
Two Weeks Before Party:
- Determine decor and shop for items (place online orders, if necessary)
- Finalize menu (place catering orders, if necessary)
- Work on any DIY pieces (e.g. place cards, photo booth, decor)
One Week Before Party:
- Purchase alcohol (or order for delivery day of party)
- Shop for non-perishable food items
- Read-through all recipes
Two or Three Days Before:
- Clean party space, especially bathroom
- Wash serving dishes, glasses, barware, etc.
- Shop for remaining food items
- Cook or bake any food items that can be made ahead of time
- Prep as much food as possible (e.g. cut crudities, prep items for other recipes)
- Rearrange furniture, if necessary
- Set table and bar
- Set up decor
- Chill beverages (white wine, champagne, beer, mixers, etc.)
- Pick up flowers
- Pick up ice
- Tidy up, (again) especially the bathroom
- Beginning cooking/putting together food
- Finish setting up
A few hours before
- Shower and start to get YOURSELF ready
(image via Hostess with the Mostess Blog)